How can we improve WooCommerce?

UPC field

since most retailers (at least in the N. America) use UPC for product tracking (thinking amazon.com) you would think that it would be a good field to add. I think most folks don't sell outside their woo site? Most of all my retailers (we do wholesale) require a UPC for our items when ordering.

Only having a SKU field really does not solve this issue. We use SKU for product ID when ordering from our suppliers and UPC when working with our retailers.

I would add it- its pretty important for shopowners (like me) that sell wholesale to other retailers and drop ship, do fulfillment.

Let me know -

cheers!

152 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    markomark shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard May commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UPC is one of the most important fields for Google product feeds. Without them you are lost. How hard can it bee to add this field to Word Press? Please add it. It is essential.

• Connor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to use the UPC as the SKU, but when I try to input the UPC into the SKU field, any leading zero (as in 090255XXXXXX) is removed. Is there any way to correct this?

• Michael VerKamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UPC... since 1974. Yet we are begging for it to be included in WordPress in 2018. Quite an oversight on such a standard inventory tracking item. Come on WP... buck up and fix this.

• Chad Wick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would like to see this added to core. Understandable that you can create your own custom custom field, but many plugins for managing both Google Product Feeds, Facebook Product Feeds and Amazon do not use custom fields as their means to gather the data required for the feed. I tried both the WooCommerce Google Product Feed plugin and the Facebook Catalog Pro plugin and both of them will not pull any values stored in custom fields on variant product types. This makes adding a UPC code to the feed impossible. I assumed that SKU field in the Inventory area is not stored in post_meta like custom product attritubes?

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me add my 2 cents to this as well. As I'm trying to justify staying away from Magento I'm amazed that these fields are not available in WC. As another commentator stated... they don't have to be mandatory but it would be helpful to have them especially when we have to do google shopping feeds or feeds to other services. And EAN is a must for Europe.

• Brian Houdek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish there was a UPC field. Can't believe this is not a standard feature. It doesn't have to be a required field.

• Serg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost every reliable shopping cart has fields for UPC,EAN etc.I don't understand why Woocommerce does not even consider adding this feature.It's kind of a must for N.Americans serious sellers especially if they sell on amazon or want to put their products on google shopping. Pls. consider to add this field to the core.Thanks for consideration.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazon requires it. It is pretty standard in retail. I am surprised that WooCommerce does not support it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a standard field in Woocommerce. Can we expect to see it soon in an update?

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As EAN/UPC codes are a universally recognised product identifier both online and offline, and are generally applied to any product being sold through multiple channels (e.g. sales occurring from other than directly from the manufacturer) I would like to see a field for this added to WC core, under Inventory. The overhead of this extra field, for those not needing it, will be completely inconsequential. Whereas the overhead of having to use a plug-in for such basic functionality is potentially much higher.

The most common globally recognised product identifies are EAN, UPC, and ISBN.

WooCommerce: Category - Extension Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base