How can we improve WooCommerce?

Add upsell at checkout for a promotional price

I've run ecommerce sites for over 15 years and one of the best features I've seen is the Miva shopping cart upsell feature that shows a specific product during the checkout (as opposed to the add to cart page)

Details here: http://docs.mivamerchant.com/en-US/merchant/5/webhelp/upsale_product.htm

It's a great way to sell small ticket items at checkout as an impulse buy, almost like the grocery store checkout and gum.

As a t-shirt seller, I used this to sell stickers related to my t-shirts. Before stickers almost never sold and with that option at checkout, I sold a sticker on almost ever order.

It works even better if you can offer a discount on the featured upsell at checkout.

I see there's an upsell already in WooCommerce, but it would be great if could be added to checkout so that the upsold product could be added to the shopping cart in one click. It would be shown on the Shopping Cart screen that lists the products the customer is about to buy (or after they click the "Checkout" button)

I've seen first hand how this simple placement can increase sales for merchants. I hope you'll consider it :)

84 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rodney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had contact with Mansi again, and they have fixed the problem. Upsells AND downsells are now working! Very happy that it works again. :-)

Maurice

I have bought Smart Offers in the beginning of 2015. At that time it had a bug. They fixed it and released a new version. Perfect. Until the next version that reintroduced the bug. Now (feb. 2016) it contains even more bugs and I can't use the plugin anymore.

The bug is that a downsell does not work when a first upsell is declined. They confirmed the bug, but they say they're 'too busy' with other projects to resolve this.

A second upsell, when the first upsell is accepted, is also not working. When you accept the 2nd upsell, the offer is shown again and the upsell is never added to the cart. So it doesn't work.

At this time (feb 2016) the Smart Offers plugin functionality is broken.

I've had many times email contact with Mansi, but all I get are empty promises that 'when it's fixed, they'll let me know'. Well, that's a promise I keep getting for a lot of months now...

So forget Smart Offers. It's not so 'smart' anymore. It all sounds all great, but it just doesn't work anymore. Too bad... :-(

Maurice

• Nirav Mehta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Gregor,

We develop the Smart Offers plugin. First of all, thank you for taking a look. We certainly failed to explain what the plugin does on our sales page - otherwise you wouldn't feel it is overpriced in any way. You were probably put off by the "long form sales page". I will consider simplifying it in future.

As for the product, Smart Offers is a whole lot more than Cart Add Ons or Cart Notices or Conditional Content. Smart Offers lets you setup a full sales funnel - upsells, downsells, one time offers and even premium backend offers. And it does that by letting you define rule based offers that will be shown on cart page or checkout page or order completion page or my account page. You can show any message based on flexible rules.

We have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you like, you can try Smart Offers and post your feedback here. We are happy to take all constructive feedback.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this doesn't exist.

I'm racking my brains trying to build a one page checkout for a subscription service (skipping the Product Page).

I need the ability to have addons to the service at checkout as well as billing cycle.
    I figure if tax can be calculated at checkout with a couple of fields, surely total cost/billing frequency can be altered too...

http://www.woothemes.com/products/woocommerce-checkout-field-editor/

This plugin missed the boat by not having the ability to alter final price.

My 2 cents.

• 75nineteen Media commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will be launching a cart upsell extension soon - Development is completed. It does not yet include discounts, but could in the future if there is enough demand.

yes i agree that this wil ldefinitely increase sales.

the upsell should in fact also be configurable in such a way that discount can be given!

IF customer BUY product A
    UPSELL them product B at checkout with 5% discount

that type of thing

• Lucas Stark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm planning a Pro Suggestions plugin, targeted for two weeks from now that will allow you to do this. It will also provide for the Amazon style, you might also like and Netflix style people in your area like. As part of this I'll have a couple widgets that you will be able to use on the cart page.

WooCommerce: Category - Extension Ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base