How can we improve WooCommerce?

WooCommerce Multi-site Shopping Cart Feature

I think it would be super if there was a way to have a shopping cart feature that worked across a Wordpress Multi-site installation. What I mean by this is that a user could add a product on say shop1.domain.com and then navigate to shop2.domain.com and again add a product and then at anytime check out and pay. This would be a super powerful feature and something I think alot of people would have an interest in. Anyone else want to join in on this. MarketPress here http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce has this feature but really woocommerce considering the themes available and its ambitious growth - well I'd just love to see it happen :)

2,776 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
jamesweb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  Patrick Rauland responded  · 

Surveys have been sent out to the supporters of this ideas to see exactly how they want this implemented.

345 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anton Andriyevskyy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Henryk, I'm currently trying to setup plugins making business, but until it is not set I cannot spend lots of time on it - a hour ir two daily plus weekends.

You could help by spreading the info about or buying my first Woo extension: http://bit.ly/coupon-locker

I'll release the very first. Ersion as soon as it is usable to some extent - at least having different products, categories and menu per domain. Otherwise it would look just incomplete.

I'm almost sure CodeCanyon will underestimate all the engineering which is taking place this dide - the plugin is not easy to build - so chances are I'll build a separate website for it and will sell it for ~$79 per one installation. But I'd be happy if discussion was more alive here, so I would know there are at least 30..50 potential buyers right from the start. There are so many voices for this feature but when it comes to having a real plugin opportunity, I don't see enough feedback and this makes me doubt.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hallo Anton,
    Yes what you want to programm is very good! You should consult with the programming team of WooCommerce. Your ideas should proceed exactly in the core, such as the REST API Extension in 2.1 and 2.2. We need your ideas like:

- language per domain
    - override currency and price for domain
    - integrate with wp multilanguage plugin
    - probably constrain categories to domains as well
    - constrain posts/pages to domain
    - allow to use different menu for every domain

Where we could by the first Version? 0.9 beta

Henryk form Germany

I don't know MarketPress. I had been a subscriber of WPMU but to be fair I didn't like their plugins at all (just my personal opinion) - the way it's made inside, from programmer's point of view. But anyhow, I don't see how it relates to WooCommerce at all - it looks like their plugin is not aimed for Woo. Right?

Yes, Ken, currently it's possible with a standard WooCommerce over WordPress multisite - that is what you get by default, completely separate stores for every child blog. And that is why I'm developing the Multiple Domains plugin - to allow for the opposite, i.e. one single WordPress blog to host the same store under multiple domains, restricting products, categories and tags to specific domains, but managing everything from within a single backend.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to use multi-site to create a network of similar ecommerce stores that have separate users, seperate ssl certificates and checkout....Basically to create a network of individual stores for my clients?

Anyone can give me Multi-Currency WooCommerce Extension so I could make multi-domain plugin compatible with it?

Dear WooCommerce users. A multiple domains plugin is being developed. It allows for multiple stores to be run under their own domains but still have all products, users and sales managed from a single blog installation.

I'd be happy to hear your ideas and features requests.

Currently the most basic feature has been implemented: it allows to restrict products by domain names:

http://imageshack.us/a/img716/4075/xgy0.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/9085/t5ob.png

A lot of people want run their store for multiple countries, like this:

store.com
    store.co.uk
    store.au
    ... etc

So I'll need to allow to override a lot of WooCommerce settings based on the domain used to access the store. I know how to do it and just need time to implement it all.

As about categories, I'm thinking of allowing the same domain constraints to be applied for product categories.

Here is what I have so far for products:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img716/4075/xgy0.png

Of course it will allow for any domains, not only top-level domain variations (e.g. .com, .co.uk etc).
    What you see in the Domains column is just short captions assigned to domains (which you can assign to anything, but shorter is better for faster visual identification).

Hello Anton,

what we need is the possibility to build various shops with different product categories on a Home. That would also possible with CSS. But there are more than 10 start layouts (microsites). The CSS wouldn´t be programmed. So my idea with the subdomains. WP Multisite will not work with WooCommerce 2.1, as we know it from other stores. Therefore, one solution would be as you want to program. A WooCommerce 2.3 (3.0 Global) would of course be the big hit. But also very difficult to enforce.
    You have mutch to do, with "language per domain" . I think this is something for "WooCommerce Multilingual". Or do want to program in interaktion with http://wpml.org/ ?
    I hope other people think the same way like me.

hopefully Henryk

Hi Henryk

I've started already and so far I have implemented domain constraints for products, i.e. every product can be disabled/enabled for one or more domains.

Re different layout for product categories - how does it relate to domains? Could you explain what do you mean exactly?

Next things to do:
    - language per domain
    - override currency and price for domain
    - integrate with wp multilanguage plugin
    - probably constrain categories to domains as well
    - constrain posts/pages to domain
    - allow to use different menu for every domain

Hope it makes sense.

What worries me is that there are so many votes for this feauture but almost no one interacts with me and gives feedback to the implementation approach, and so I'm afraid there is no really much demand for this functionality.

Hallo Anton,
    what about multiple Layouts for each Produktcategory? I think, I can do this in the way you want to program your plugin.
    When would you like to start? And when can we buy the plugin? Timeline
    thanks Henryk

I'm thinking of doing a plugin where you can run ONE WordPress (single installation) for multiple domains. But I would like to know how many people do really want this feature the way I proposed to do.

Continuing my previous thoughts, the only approach I can see to achieve the goal is as follows:

- manage all products from the main blog

- map multiple domains to the same blog (instead of creating multiple secondary blogs!)

- make a 'stores' table with domain assigned for each store

- for each product, assign store_ids option:
    --- empty string to make product available under any domain mapped to the blog
    --- store ID or multiple comma-separated IDs to make the product only visible for particular domains

- implement all hooks needed to filter products (still posts in terms of WordPress)

Drawbacks:
    - you will still have one blog
    - some tricks needed to make the same cart show under multiple domains

Benefits:
    - serve the same shop under multiple domains and filter products by domain
    - manage your shop from one place
    - one big table for all sales made

The setup described below is very problematic because following reasons:
    - different shop owners would consider different things to be shared between secondary shops; there is no one strong wish what to sync and what to not; as a simplest but very tricky example would be: stock management, SKU values, coupons;

- Woocommerce heavily utilizes native WordPress internal post/page objects (yes, product is a kind of WordPress post adapted for the shopping engine) - and those are strictly bound to personal websites. Woocommerce doesn't use global products table which would allow to make both per-blog and global products by having a nullable blog_id column. Changing this would require rewriting the whole WooCommerce core engine, unfortunately.

Btw, for those who want the same store for multiple countries/regions under subdomains, would it help to assign multiple domains for the same blog (with domain mapping plugin) and just have products translated by WPML? Why shouldn't it work?

There are a lot of questions though. Should be cart global or local to the child site? Should all the reporting be global or local? And so on.

Because Woo is based on per-blog tables (it doesn't create global per-site tables), and because product, order, coupon [....] IDs are all local and are not only stored in table columns, but also in serialized values [e.g. postmeta table], it would be extremely hard to make products syncing between per-blog stores.

It is possible to sync main product properties, but then it's almost impossible to take care of everything related to your products.

I'm not even thinking of having global tables for products because products are fully backed by native WordPress post entity and cannot be easily extracted into a different kind of essense.

Moreover, it's still not clear how to deal with sales and all the statistics. Should sales be tracked separately per-blog or globally per-site? I'm sure there would be some people wanting for either first or second option, which makes writing such a plugin much harder.

Asking Woo to support global cart means asking them to rewrite the core engine of Woo, unfortunately.

I'd be happy to try to develop such a plugin and I have a few ideas, but after reading all ~100 comments below I still can't figure out what exactly people want. "I want a global cart" just doesn't work because too many questions arises and no one clearly answers them [unfortunately].

I have been finding similar requests here and there, but I'm not sure if there is enough demand for such a plugin. If you personally like it, could you please describe exactly what do you need and how it's different to how Woo functions currently? -- thanks.

WooCommerce: Category - Core

Feedback and Knowledge Base