How can we improve WooCommerce?

Offer payment option “invoice”

For many transactions, especially in the B2B segment, instant payment via PayPal etc. is not a viable option, so any e-commerce solution targeted at B2B transactions needs an option to process payments via invoice.

If this could be added to WooCommerce, we could finally leave Magento behind (which is much too complicated) and use WooCommerce on our projects.

The invoice does *not* have to be generated by WooCommerce, it would be perfectly sufficient if the buyer received a confirmation e-mail stating the amount, and then the invoice will be manually created by bookkeeping, sent to the client, and after payment is received, the transaction can be marked complete manually.

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MathiasMathias shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Mike JolleyAdminMike Jolley (Admin, WooCommerce) responded  · 

This isn’t needed. Either BACS or CHEQUE can both be renamed in settings (they are the same thing essentially). Just change the title to ‘Invoice’ and your done. No coding required.

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jamie PiperJamie Piper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm assuming it was implied in the original comment that the product needs to be available to ship or download immediately, PRIOR TO receiving payment.

From what I gather from the comments, this is the functionality that everyone is needing, myself included.

Being able to change 'Cheque' to 'Invoice' would be great, as long as the customer was able to check out and have their order processed/available to ship/download immediately after checkout. Then the invoice would be emailed immediately with specific payment terms (Net 30 for example), and they'd forward it to their accounting department to take care of payment.

This is B2B sales 101. I'm new to Woocommerce and I'm super surprised that this doesn't exist. Is the platform only for B2C stores?

• GuillaumeGuillaume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Replying to Mike Jolley's comment.

Invoice with 30 days payment terms is clearly not the same as BACS or CHEQUE.

BACS or CHEQUE: merchant wait for the client to send payment and AFTER ships the order
        xx days terms payment invoice: merchant ships the order BEFORE getting payment.

This is a HUGE difference in terms of how this is managed for the merchant.
        Essentially there needs to be:
        - a system to write on the invoice the expected date of payment (based on the client setup and the number of days we allow them to pay)
        - a way to mark the order as paid
        - credit limits management: usually a client is allowed $*** credit line, so if they order for more then they need to pay some older invoices before being able to place an order. More details here from someone who apparently also thought there needed more features to male it work: https://www.upwork.com/job/WooCommerce-customisation-customer-credit-limit-function_~0177a45b3f50d15616/

• MicSeatonMicSeaton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this can't possibly be the last comment on the pay by invoice "net 30" payment option is it?? Can anyone help with this? Thanks

• Woocommerce UserWoocommerce User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed more than you. Since renaming something ist just not the same. We have to manually type something in the order, so we do not send out to customers. Also customers are confused that the order is on hold. Why does Magento have that feature but not Woocommerce??

• HanssonHansson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to pay a guy more than USD 1000 to customize a system that accept order and let me approve/validate the order before a email with a PayPal link goes out. The same email contains banking information (customers can choose PayPal or Bank wire/billing).

The good thing with a system that puts orders "on-hold" is that you can avoid refunding fees if the customer order something that does not fit. By that we avoid refunding fees from PayPal.

In my case spare-parts for cars. Customers orders stuff for a Fiat but have a Ford car and we would have huge refunding costs if this function was not there.

• Christopher GlaeserChristopher Glaeser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Managing quotes, purchase orders, invoices, net 30 payments, and related tasks seems to be a shortcoming of virtually all ecommerce packages. IMO, the most serious problem is that the developers of the ecommerce software don't have experience with or an understanding of what is required. Their view of the world is "enter a credit card number and ship the product." I am moving from Volusion to Woocommerce, and while Volusion has a better solution than Woocommerce, it's not perfect either. I'm really bummed, because Woocomerce has so much going for it otherwise. I was hoping to come here and find a good solution, but I can see everyone else has reached the same dead end, more or less. Bummer.

• Stuart DuffStuart Duff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have released a free plugin that adds an invoice payment gateway to WooCommerce which may help.

You can also set an order status of On Hold, Processing or Completed which will be applied to all orders processed via the gateway, the corresponding status order emails will also be sent out after checkout.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wc-invoice-gateway/

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kris Stark hit the nail on the head. This is definietly needed. It would be great to have an "Account Credit" group that can pay on invoice and can use Store credit defined for that user/login

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish I could add a vote for this idea. It is needed on my company's website as well. I am surprised at the dismissive and disdainful attitude of Mike Jolley in declining this idea. Maybe you should try listening to what people actually need, and why they need it. If you don't want to devote time or resources to this project, that's one thing; but saying it isn't need when it clearly is, that's just condescending.

is there a way to mark the check order paid, or a setting that will not put the order on hold?

• Peter van GorderPeter van Gorder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> change the title to ‘Invoice’ and your done

What? Did you not hear your community say that this is NOT the same?
        Replying that you're not going to implement is one thing. But if you're going to just tell your own professional community that they don't know what they then you might as well NOT ask "How Can we Improve WooCommerce?".

How's this:

You can improve WooCommerce by not insulting the people who have supported you and who are taking their precious time to improve YOUR product.

Responding with "This isn’t needed" when professionals are TELLING YOU IT IS NEEDED is insulting.

Many people have taken their time to describe WHY it is needed.
        Please read them.

• mgasonmgason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this. Renaming cheque does not work as cheque puts an order on hold. When we sell by Purchase order or invoice we expect to process and even deliver the order before payment. We want the order to show as processing NOT on hold

I would be interested in this option as well, and I'd like it to only be visible in a "wholesale" section of my site. I wonder if any of these comments were read after this was set as "declined".

• Kyle RumbleKyle Rumble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How would you change the cheque message on the thank you page?

I need to change this message "A final invoice will be emailed to you for approval....."

I searched all the flies and no luck. I'm guessing it's somewhere in the database?

How would I filter this message?

← Previous 1

WooCommerce: Category - Payment Gateways

Feedback and Knowledge Base