How can we improve WooCommerce?

Layaway Option

Layaway option for products:

In addition to the "Add to Cart" button, have a "Add to Layaway" option where the customer can reserve the item for a portion of the total cost, as downpayment. Then mark the item as "Layaway" so no one else can buy it. Allow the customer to make additional payments later on. Once the customer pays the full amount, take the product off layaway, and proceed with the normal order processing on the backend.

Additional functionality:
- require the customer be signed in to take advantage of the feature
- optionally add a financing cost or some flat fee for use of service

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
dhu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Blake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We still don't have a great option here. Nothing really does the trick.... At this point I have modified WooCommerce Subscriptions and it is working ok, but there are a lot of issues, not to mention features that are missing.

Anyone have any other options out there besides WooDeposits, Partial Payments, and WooSubscriptions?

Or, is there a 3rd party app we could integrate, sort of like PayPals, but with more of a layaway attitude?

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A more realistically affordable solution would be great. If you want to do any more than 1 extra payment you need woo deposits and payment recipes which is $175!

That's a crap load for a plugin when most other plugins, even good ones go for less $50 and usually less than $30!

• Joseph L. Riviello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Larry, nice update! We were just about to customize the recipes plugin today and BAM! You gave us the ability to set exact dates the payments are due. Nice work!

• Karen Brumgard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this option so badly. Even if people have credit cards, they cannot always purchase higher end items up front. Our brick/mortar does layaway so why not my website?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I whole heartedly agree with @dhu

Please develop a Layaway option! :D

@dhu's comment:
    "Additional Functionality (wishful thinking at this point):
    - show outstanding balance in customer account on a Layaway tab, and allow prepayment to put item into Processing stage
    - integrate with use of coupons / giftcards
    - automatic email notifications of upcoming payment deadlines, and layaway completion (perhaps working together with WC Followup Emails extension?)
    - WC reporting: allow admin to separate out the portion of sales due to layaway as well as view in aggregate

The payments don't need to be a subscription or anything like that, can just be individual payments since layaway is typically only used for high ticket items"

+1 I have a number of clients whose life a "partial payments" solution would make extremely easier.

I think this would be a tremendous option to have. Partial payment now (fixed amount) and remainder at a predetermined date. Any work going on with this?

• CC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur. All of the things dhu mentioned should be added. I hope someone turns it into a plugin soon!

i need something like this. all my product is made after they order. before i had the website i did a deposit to start and the rest when complete. now they have to pay in full and wait 8 weeks.

• dhu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More Additional Functionality (wishful thinking at this point):
    - show outstanding balance in customer account on a Layaway tab, and allow prepayment to put item into Processing stage
    - integrate with use of coupons / giftcards
    - automatic email notifications of upcoming payment deadlines, and layaway completion (perhaps working together with WC Followup Emails extension?)
    - WC reporting: allow admin to separate out the portion of sales due to layaway as well as view in aggregate

The payments don't need to be a subscription or anything like that, can just be individual payments since layaway is typically only used for high ticket items

• Leah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a fantastic idea and have been looking for a plugin or something with this functionality. Hopefully Woothemes will take it on in the next release.

WooCommerce: Extension - WooCommerce Deposits

Feedback and Knowledge Base