How can we improve WooCommerce?

Free Trial Without Recurring Payment (for memberships)

I would love the ability to have a free trial of a membership without recurring payments. So, once a user ends the free trial and completes payment they own the product forever. Currently the only way to do this that I'm aware of is to use WC Subscriptions and have a subscription last only one period, with an 'unlimited' membership tied to the subscription product. But this is an awkward way to make this work, and adds all kinds of wording that infers recurring payments and subscriptions that is bad UX for the customer, and needs to be removed (ideally) by a developer to make this viable.

Ideally this would be in WC Memberships I think, but I could see it going in WC Subscriptions because of the need to store card details and then charge after a time interval. Or standalone if that worked somehow.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Will G shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I entirely agree with this enhancement and the way it is described. How does this only have 3 votes??! It is such a simple and common need: Free-Trial with One-Time Purchase following the free trial, but the payment information must already be entered to process automatically.

It's extremely bizarre to me that this function is not built in already and that more people aren't asking for it. Does it have something to do with complications on the side of the payment processors?

Currently, the only way we are achieving this is through Woo Subscriptions product with a custom 99-year payment interval (through filters) with no expiration. Like the original posting user said, this is very awkward and makes for a confusing and uncertain experience for the customer. We are probably going to code this in properly ourselves but it seems like a rather ridiculous function to custom-code with such a robust product like WooCommerce.

Barring any complications I'm unaware of with payment processors, let's get this added to the next revision please, respectfully.

WooCommerce: Extension - WooCommerce Memberships

Feedback and Knowledge Base