How can we improve WooCommerce?

Attribute groups for WooCommerce

https://github.com/woothemes/woocommerce/issues/1565

A method of grouping attributes to make them easier to manage - possible through nesting attribute terms.

309 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike JolleyAdminMike Jolley (Admin, WooCommerce) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard MeldnerRichard Meldner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For this function to be really useful, it needs to work a bit like Magento. In Magento you can define attribute groups and each product then is assigned an attribute group. Once a user makes a change to an attribute group, that change is now live on all products with that group. So for example, if you decide you no longer need an attribute and delete it from the attribute group, it is now no longer available on every product that uses that attribute group. Same if you had or rearrange the order of attributes within the group.

This is a functional rethink of the way it is right now done in WooCommerce where you have "global" attributes and "local" attributes. When you delete a global attribute, it does not change the local attribute data per say. It is still there and actually leads to a lot of potentially orphaned data.

IMO, this is one of the more baffling issues where WooCommerce lags behind Magento. I think if WooCommerce would do a rethink (which I believe would require a core change as you will need new tables to manage this), by moving all attribute management to one place and then be able to manage attribute groups from there. In essence, the meta data stored for each product would only be the group name (id), while the values would be stored in a data table in the db by group ID.

• henry trunhhenry trunh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I so need this and I can't believe someone hasn't jumped at the opportunity to create what would be a premium plugin. I would happily pay US$50 - $100 given how much more efficient it would make entering products. We sell everything from Motorbikes to generators and lawnmowers.
        http://www.anbinh-city.org/

• henry trunhhenry trunh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Woocommerce Plugin is too old, long have been updated: Like I said above, the update to the new version plugin will solve the problem of compatibility, and fixes a lot of bugs, so you should update to the new Woocommerce The most frequently.
        Error by 3rd party theme: We often use the theme is written by a 3rd party, so you should check that the theme look like the plugin Woocommerce injured or not, to examine change the default theme WordPress Twenty Fifteen or Twenty Sixteen as if this fault disappears, so 3rd party themes are not, find another solution: D
        http://www.thitruongnhadatviet.com/2016/02/lien-ke-the-green-daisy-lien-ke-the-green-manor.html
        http://chungcuanbinh.com.vn/

• anagioanagio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to see attribute groups. Ideally so that two product may have their own unique set of attributes though with the same name such as "Color" but each of these color attributes are within unique attribute groups. To be able to have the same name attributes taxonomies, with different terms applied to unique products so the labels on the front end could be identical.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, um... Has James plugin done it's job? I'm going to develop my own version (since i need additional functionality) so I've been wandering if there was any progress in this area.

• James CollingsJames Collings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have been waiting on this feature being added to woocommerce, after a while i decided to have a go at developing a plugin which allows you to create groups of product attributes which can be loaded into products from just under the attributes section. JC WooCommerce Advanced Product Attributes has other features which can be enabled/disabled from the settings page. Attribute grouping works with WooCommerce 2.2+

Plugin website can be found: http://jamescollings.co.uk/wordpress-plugins/jc-woocommerce-advanced-product-attributes/

• Mike HMike H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone interested in this issue: here's the solution that I've been using for now (although I, like others here, would love to see this featured added in to the wonderful Woocommerce!).
        For products that have a lot of pre-defined attributes, I create a draft product as a "template" (setting some initial attributes, plus the product category, etc. etc.). Then I use the convenient "Copy to a new draft" feature to create a new product based on that "template." That new product already has the attributes & other details mostly set. I customize everything for that new product and am on my way. It's not perfect (especially since at least one of each attributes needs to be set for the attribute to appear within the template draft -- since no empty attributes are displayed by default). But, it's the most efficient method I've found thus far.

• Marcus HanMarcus Han commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such basic functionality; I'd think that the Woo team would be embarrassed not to have it as part of the core functionality. The fact that it's one of the top issues/ideas + is over 2 years old without it even being "under review" yet makes me think that there's no realization of just what a deal-breaker the lack of this functionality is.

PLEASE, guys, add this in.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I have some products in certain categories that all have 8 attributes. It's a huge pain to add them all every time. Would be nice to say "If we're on the "Add" screen and the "Widgets" category is selected automatically add and expand this group of 8 attributes with empty values" which the admin can then fill in. Right now the workflow for this is BRUTAL

• KarlKarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I so need this and I can't believe someone hasn't jumped at the opportunity to create what would be a premium plugin. I would happily pay US$50 - $100 given how much more efficient it would make entering products. We sell everything from Motorbikes to generators and lawnmowers. As you can imaging these all have numerous features / specifications (attributes) that amount to a list closing in on 1000. A motorbike and a generator both have a power rating that are measured in different units, and many others are similar but different - so frustrating for me and difficult for my staff not to make errors when creating new products.

Come on Woocommerce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Travis PrebbleTravis Prebble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately need this! I have 40+ products all with the same attribute types and want to easily add them to a product while maintaining a specific order. I tried to add the attributes to a draft product as a template, but the attributes can't be saved if they have no values (I was leaving them empty to fill in later).

So, for now, my draft "template" has junk info for all the attributes that I will replace each time.

• Stephanie NewmanStephanie Newman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be super helpful on the backend when you're talking about one group that has the same effect on the overall price, the customer just needs to select one. Is there any update on this, or any other way to accomplish this? It's strange to me that there -are- attribute groups but I can't seem to use them for anything.

• Kara DuncanKara Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I would like this feature too. I have a list of 100 piping colours which is very daunting for customers to choose. I would like to group them into colours and types of fabric on the drop-down list. It's easy enough to do using html but I can't see how to do it that way using WordPress and WooCommerce.
        Please Please develop a Group attributes feature SOON!!!

← Previous 1

WooCommerce: Category - Core

Feedback and Knowledge Base