How can we improve WooCommerce?

Attribute groups for WooCommerce

https://github.com/woothemes/woocommerce/issues/1565

A method of grouping attributes to make them easier to manage - possible through nesting attribute terms.

490 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminMike Jolley (Admin, WooCommerce) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone interested in this issue: here's the solution that I've been using for now (although I, like others here, would love to see this featured added in to the wonderful Woocommerce!).
    For products that have a lot of pre-defined attributes, I create a draft product as a "template" (setting some initial attributes, plus the product category, etc. etc.). Then I use the convenient "Copy to a new draft" feature to create a new product based on that "template." That new product already has the attributes & other details mostly set. I customize everything for that new product and am on my way. It's not perfect (especially since at least one of each attributes needs to be set for the attribute to appear within the template draft -- since no empty attributes are displayed by default). But, it's the most efficient method I've found thus far.

• Marcus Han commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such basic functionality; I'd think that the Woo team would be embarrassed not to have it as part of the core functionality. The fact that it's one of the top issues/ideas + is over 2 years old without it even being "under review" yet makes me think that there's no realization of just what a deal-breaker the lack of this functionality is.

PLEASE, guys, add this in.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I have some products in certain categories that all have 8 attributes. It's a huge pain to add them all every time. Would be nice to say "If we're on the "Add" screen and the "Widgets" category is selected automatically add and expand this group of 8 attributes with empty values" which the admin can then fill in. Right now the workflow for this is BRUTAL

• Karl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I so need this and I can't believe someone hasn't jumped at the opportunity to create what would be a premium plugin. I would happily pay US$50 - $100 given how much more efficient it would make entering products. We sell everything from Motorbikes to generators and lawnmowers. As you can imaging these all have numerous features / specifications (attributes) that amount to a list closing in on 1000. A motorbike and a generator both have a power rating that are measured in different units, and many others are similar but different - so frustrating for me and difficult for my staff not to make errors when creating new products.

Come on Woocommerce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Travis Prebble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately need this! I have 40+ products all with the same attribute types and want to easily add them to a product while maintaining a specific order. I tried to add the attributes to a draft product as a template, but the attributes can't be saved if they have no values (I was leaving them empty to fill in later).

So, for now, my draft "template" has junk info for all the attributes that I will replace each time.

• Stephanie Newman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be super helpful on the backend when you're talking about one group that has the same effect on the overall price, the customer just needs to select one. Is there any update on this, or any other way to accomplish this? It's strange to me that there -are- attribute groups but I can't seem to use them for anything.

• Kara Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I would like this feature too. I have a list of 100 piping colours which is very daunting for customers to choose. I would like to group them into colours and types of fabric on the drop-down list. It's easy enough to do using html but I can't see how to do it that way using WordPress and WooCommerce.
    Please Please develop a Group attributes feature SOON!!!

• Mohammad Aliyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to make some alternative attributes features...

But it uses "Custom_fields" instead of default woocommerce taxonomies.

It may be useful for stores who has simple products, it's useless for various ones.

• Christine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this idea.
    We have a lot of attributes for some products. Those attributes should appear on the tab "Additional information" or even grouped on different tabs. At the moment the attributes are just running down the tab; groups would help to organize them nicely and better readable for customers.

is there any outcome yet?

• Mohammad Aliyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this feature. I'm a web designer working in a company that has some employees who add products to the shop.

They always confuse what attribute to add for a product or not, some times they miss some attributes, some time they don't sort the attributes in the right order.

for example, we need to order attributes in an predefined order like this:

For a laptop:

- Processor
    - RAM
    - HDD
    - Weight

For tablet:

- Size
    - Weight
    - Processor
    - RAM
    - Storage memory

It would be a good idea if we get all the (empty) attributes listed in the predefined order when we define the product category.

employee: I am going to add a laptop to shop.
    woocommerce: ok, now you have to add these 4 attributes. just fill these blank fields.

EXTRA: that would be very very nice if we could define sub-attributes:

For a laptop:

- Processor
    --- type
    --- Clock
    - HDD
    --- type
    --- capacity

etc

• Damian Roth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems It would be very useful for what I want to do in my shop!! Please add this feature really fast!

WooCommerce: Category - Core

Feedback and Knowledge Base