Attribute groups for WooCommerce
A method of grouping attributes to make them easier to manage - possible through nesting attribute terms.
I need this feature, it's very-very useful. I have more than 100 attributes for 5 kind of product. It's very difficult to organize and select
Is this something that will be integrated soon or at all? It would be very useful for what I want to do in my shop!! Please add this feature!
Attributes in WooCommerce should be flexible enough to handle the following scenario:
A shop sells materials - metals, plastics, wood- and goods made from those materials e.g., plumbing fittings and tubes. Each of these groups of products require a different set of attributes to describe their properties and/or features. For example:
Attribute Group - Metals:
- Melting point
- Typical uses
Attribute Group - Plastics:
- Water absorption
Attribute Group - Wood:
Attribute Group - Plumbing:
- Temperature range for liquids
Not all attributes have data for a particular product. A logic: if attribute has no data, the attribute will not show up on frontend.
Hopefully there is also a flexible way to define/attach Units for attributes:
Properties (attribute data) may be expressed in different units. For example:
- Water absorption:
-- % per 24 hours
-- % per 1000 hours
-- Brinell HB
-- Rockwell C HRC
Two or more attribute data may be present for a particular attribute, each with a different unit e.g.,
Hardness: HB: 495
Hardness: HRC: 51
- This is covered if Attribute Group has both of these Attributes defined. If only one attribute data is given, the empty attribute will not show up on frontend.
I hope Attribute Groups will go ahead and will be incorporated in one way or another to WooCommerce. This is my 2 cents.
Run into this problem as just migrating data to WooCommerce. WooCommerce is lacking in this respect compared to an ancient VirtueMart 1.0.13 cart. - Agree, this feature would make life much easier for administrator. And make migration to WooCommerce easier from more established carts.
How to implement - I have no idea/skills. The following is a list of fields and features I would like to see in such a plugin/feature ... "Attributes Extended".
Attribute Group level:
- Name (Group)
- Slug (Group)
- Description (Group) - used as a reference for admin or as an explanation on frontend. Optional feature.
- Position (Group) (order in the list of attribute groups). Optional feature.
- Type: Select | Text
- Description (Attribute) - used as a reference for admin or as an explanation on frontend.
- Position (order in the list of attributes)
- Visibility (hides the attribute Name on frontend)
- Unit (pcs, bundle of 12 pieces, cm, kg, A, etc...)
Attribute Data level:
- Position (order in the list of attribute data when attribute type: Select)
- Visibility (hides only the attribute data on frontend)
Dominic P commented
It seems like there are several different directions that this can go. I was originally imagining it as primarily an administrative time saver. As far as how to implement it is concerned, nesting terms is certainly an interesting idea, but I am concerned that it could have some unintended side effects. For one thing, it would complicate matters if we ever wanted to leverage hierarchical taxonomies for attributes apart from creating attribute groups. I haven't thought it all the way through yet, but I get the feeling that nesting could open a can of worms.
For my 2 cents, I was imagining either a simple entry in `wp_options` that would hold the preset groups, or perhaps it would be even cleaner to add the group designation as an entry in `wp_woocommerce_termmeta`. Something like `meta_key` = attribute_group, `meta_value` = 3.