How can we improve WooCommerce?

Subscriptions: Prepaid subscription package

Many customers are reluctant to sign up for an infinite recurring subscription plan.
It would be nice to implement prepaid subscriptions packages, where a user buys e.g. 6 or 12 month of subscription time in advance and after the subscription period has ended his account is suspended until he buys another prepaid package.

91 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Leo Houer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am truly baffled that this is not a feature yet. With the popularity of the subscription model, I can’t believe prospress and woocommerce have allowed this problem to go on for so long! There are so many other feature requests on this forum basically asking for the same thing - the ability to pre-pay for a subscription. I understand this is a complex plugin, but it has gotten to the point where this feels unacceptable.

• Ramesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to share a good news.
    We have published the WooCommerce Prepaid Subscriptions plugin.

WooCommerce Pre-paid / Upfront payment plugin also supports shipping cost, synchronised renewals.

You can take the pre-paid period's shipping cost along with the subscription cost. Example: If a customer pays 6 months upfront for a monthly subscription, you can take the 6 month's shipping cost of the product as well.

Similarly, if you use synchronised renewals, woocommerce does not charge when customer purchases in a different date. If you implement upfront payment, then the customer will be charged upfront. When his upfront / pre-paid period ends, he will be returned to the normal billing cycle (to the synchronised renewal date).

Just google for "flycart woocommerce prepaid subscriptions". I am not allowed to share a link here ;-)

Hope the plugin helps you.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel this could be solved with stronger 'At Renewal/Expiry' events management which would have a much larger user case. You're selling a 'multi-leg' subscription that has trigger point at renewal/expiry of the first subscription leg. Its like auto-switch to subscription x at next renewal/future date

• Ramesh Elamathi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys

We have created a plugin to handle pre-paid subscriptions. It is currently in BETA stage.
    Customers can make a one-time payment instead of monthly payments. Orders would be generated monthly (or any other subscription interval set) and customers will not be charged.

If would like to beta test it and share your feedback, please send an email to support (at) flycart (dot) org.

Thanks
    Ramesh

• rumo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about making Sign-up fee for whole period of 6 or 12 months with $0 monthly payment? Though user is still hooked for recurring payments..

• Shirley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty backwards that Woocommerce hasn't come out with this yet, despite there being comments here since 2013.

Wake up Woocommerce, we need this for 2017!!!

We need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Scott Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this as well. We have monthly and annual subscription plans but sometimes a customer wants to pre-pay for a year or two and there is no way to do this at the moment without cancelling their existing subscription and creating a new one, which is just unprofessional.

• Ton Roosendaal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix the biggest flaw in in the design of this subscription package: please disconnect the payments (manual, automatic, prepaid) from the subscription itself. A subscription then can also be configured to be a regular delivery (magazines) or to give acces.

• Jeffrey Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!...WooCommerce..PLEASE implement this. This exactly what I'm looking for. I'm currently missing out on a lot of potential revenue during the holidays selling "gift subscriptions" (that represent a single transaction to the customer, but behave like a subscription on the back end, generating orders automatically each month).

• Leon Mcintosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be amazing! The work arounds I have found make the cart pricing look so confusing that it probably scares people away. Just need someone to be able to purchase an X-month subscription and have it tracking in the backend as such, so I know what orders I need to ship each month.

• shana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to see this function, as well. We have to manually upload our multi-month subscriptions.

• Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to this. Definitely need this feature.

It would also effectively allow people to "gift" a subscription, so that they're only paying for a set time instead of being locked into something that renews constantly.

• J. R. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree! Would really appreciate having this feature. Many subscription box websites allow you to buy 3-, 6-, or 12-month packages that save on the per-month cost. But WooCommerce doesn't allow you to take a payment every 3, 6, or 12 months but generate an order monthly so you know who to ship to. This would be a great feature to have!

• Paul Gambill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really like this functionality as well, but I actually want it to autorenew at the end of the prepaid period.

Example:
    Customer buys 3 month subscription on January 1 and prepays for 3 months.
    Each month, a new order is generated for the customer and shipped to them, but they are not charged.
    On April 1, the 3 month subscription renews and prepays for the next 3 months.

WooCommerce: Extension - WooCommerce Subscriptions

Feedback and Knowledge Base