How can we improve WooCommerce?

Early Termination Fee for cancelling a subscription before a certain time

Have subscriptions products have a minimum value of time in which the customer commits to have the subscription (ie signing up for 1 year with monthly payments of $xx). If the customer cancels before the committed time (ie 1 year), then there is an early termination fee applied to their account

70 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joseph Butterfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much need this. I thought something like an early termination fee would already be included in the subscriptions plugin, and it's disappointing that it is not. I'm running a year long subscription program, but obviously an upfront price for the bill would discourage clientele same as Jennifer down below. I would like the billing to occur over a year, billed monthly, and requiring an ETF if cancelled before a certain time period.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see this as very much linked to another idea already in the voting system.

It's common for companies to set a minimum term for a subscription and minimum notice period if they wish to cancel. It can still be done with bespoke coding as my developer is going to do but I am very surprised it is not just a standard feature of the subscription system.

Early termination fees are one thing, but actually, make it so it cannot be cancelled OR an option where it can be set so it cannot be cancelled unless they pay the early termination fee.

• Jennifer Medford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am trying to create a website for a fitness club where the customer always pays monthly but there are yearly and monthly contracts. Currently, there is no way to set this up without making a customer pay for the whole year which would be very discouraging for much of our clientele. I am still looking into a solution but it would be nice if WooCommerce could come up with something that also includes early cancellation fees.

• Sebastien Dumont commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only way I see this working is that the customer has to actually pay the fee via the checkout before the subscription is actually cancelled. You would not be able to do an automated payment.

What are your thoughts?

• Justin Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Need a minimum commitment period for subscriptions feature please.

i.e. You get our discounted subscription rate, billed monthly, but you must agree to an X month minimum. If you cancel before this minimum time period, you will be retroactively charged at our regular non-subscription, undiscounted rate.

WooCommerce: Extension - WooCommerce Subscriptions

Feedback and Knowledge Base