How can we improve WooCommerce?

Product Add-ons - Add a text input that increases total per character

Presently you can add a text box and charge a fee for that add-on, but there is no way to charge per character.

The only way to do this at present, is to add a multiplier box and a text input box and hope that the customer can count and select the right number of characters - this is clunky and unfortunately not going to be a reliable solution to the problem.

I feel this is an essential (it is for me anyway) but for engravers or other businesses that sell optional extras based on a per letter basis.

It would be an easy option to add and increase functionality for the user.

54 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Andrew Wood shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Price Per Char. based on the value of a variation (letter size, height, material etc) would be a dream come true. I see other plugin with the functionality but they are unreliable and have causes many more issues then solved!!

• Scott Spragg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if there was a text input, that as the user types, it increases the options total by an amount depending on the number of characters entered in the field.

For example, a site sells bunting at a cost of £20.00 for up to 5 pieces, each piece containing a different letter. Customers can purchase bunting larger than 5 pieces, but will cost £1.00 per extra piece. So, as the customer types their name, once they get over 5, it will add £1.00 extra per character typed. This would have to be dynamic to cater for different scenarios.

This feature would have many other uses, this is just one of them. At the moment, the only way to do this is to have 2 different fields and you have to rely on customer honesty to select the correct quantity from say a dropdown and then match it up with the same amount of characters in the a text field. It would also be more user friendly as there is only one input to complete.

• Gillyfleur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very helpful solution for us. We find that customers type in the characters they want, but then sneakily leave the number of characters empty, which means we then have to spend time resolving the issue post sale.

• huzefa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For engraver's like us it is dream come true to show the customer a real preview of the product they are going to get

• huzefa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also a custom PREVIEW BUTTON which can show the text typed in that window on the product's activated text area. Is this possible.

• Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to say I would love this option. I am not the most tech friendly person but it seems to me that that would not be hard to add on.

WooCommerce: Extension - WooCommerce Product Add-ons

Feedback and Knowledge Base