How can we improve WooCommerce?

Delay Start of Subscription

I wondered if there was a way to offer an option to delay the start of a subscription? I want to market my subscription as a present, which means the subscription should be available from the time the present is given not from when it is purchased.

211 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Heather shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add the delay subscriptions feature, I think that is the most needed feature.

best,

leo

We are looking into solutions for our client who would like users to set up subscriptions on a specific date of their choosing with a price amount they can set for annual donations.

An improvement to the woocommerce plugin would be to allow users to select a start date for their subscription so they are billed annually with the date they have selected.

This feature should also allow users to control their subscriptions from an account area. Allowing them to change the date or cancel their repeated subscription.

THIS FEATURE HAVE TO BE ADD ASAP. IS HIGHLY NEEDED, FOR ACADEMIES FOR EXAMPLES.

I totally agree! We are using this to offer a CSA farm subscription. The subscription dates are fixed based upon the growing season, but I do marketing well in advance in order to fill the subscription and ensure I grow enough vegetables or don't grow too many. I want the billing to sync up with the weeks or months that the subscribers will pick up their product. Simply having a field to enter "subscription start date" and to would be a godsend! Currently, like others have listed here, I use the free trial option to sync up the start date, but that displays a "free trial" on the product and confuses shoppers. I'm not actually giving away free weeks of the CSA but just delaying their billing. I think this would be relatively easy to add and would offer great flexibility to people like me.

• Mike Frates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A "Start Date" for subscriptions is highly needed. There's an expiration, why not a start? For example, I'm starting a subscription business and gathering users through a promotion period. Having a start date for the subscription to take effect benefits all early adopters, since cards, billing, and shipping details are already stored and the subscription automatically takes effect at a specified date. Using a free trial period doesn't work, because we can't capture the credit card information at the time of purchase since it's $0.

• Abdullah D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love this! Very necessary for courses sites where the course starts at a later date.

• Hayes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. The ability to set a Start Date for subscriptions is critical to many business models. Woo Subscriptions *almost* does this already with the free trial. The trial works by assigning a term based on an administrator-defined parameter (trial length, e.g 2 weeks) modified by the date of purchase. This results in a date being calculated to begin the subscription payments. Somewhere in the code a variable “date” is generated. It should be fairly straightforward to let an administrator control the variable “date.” There may be limitations based on credit processing policies, and it may be variable based on provider, but it clearly is possible, since a variation of it is being done already. :-)

• Aurora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am currently using the 'Free Trial' in order to delay the sign-up so I can edit the ACTUAL billing date, but that is creating a customer service headache. 'Free Trial' to customers means something ABSOLUTELY different than what you are using it for here. I have to explain to 90% of my customers that they are NOT getting a month for free. I wanted to have recurring payments set up to make the overhead easier, but really, my time is now simply being spent on customer service 'damage control' while I also paid $199 for it. :) Furthermore, when I go on vacation and am not around to log in for EACH AND EVERY ORDER to change the start date, then they get billed way too early for the subscription period they bought. So, before I leave, I have to edit EVERY product and change the 'Free Trial' to be long enough to get me through vacation. Aside from creating this NEW problem for me, I DO really love the service, just needs some improvement! :)

• Pj Foley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also great for startups that need to prove demand and pre-plan ordering. Putting customers through a zero-dollar ordering process using 'synchronize' is confusing--as well as for admins.

• Charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need this - will look into building it if a solution isn't presented any time soon.

• Claudiu Vasile commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an awesome functionality.
        Our scenario is that my subscriptions is for a hand made product, it might need at least 2 weeks until the first product is made and available for delivery.

• Colin Safranek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was about to start a new idea called "Pre Order Subscriptions", but i think this is basically saying the same thing. I have a virtual subscription that has a synchronized billing cycle (on the first of each month). Many prospective subscribers want to pre-order the subscription and have it start on the 1st of the following month, while many others want to gain access to the content immediately at a prorated price. With the subscriptions extension I can either have all virtual synchronized subscriptions be prorated, or none. But I can't offer both options.

← Previous 1

WooCommerce: Extension - WooCommerce Subscriptions

Feedback and Knowledge Base