How can we improve WooCommerce?

WooCommerce needs to store order data separately

WooCommerce strongly recommends a separate, development server and moving that copy to the live site. However, WooCommerce offers little to nothing to prevent that process from overwriting any orders received on the live site singe the last copy was pulled to the staging server. WooCommerce should either add functions to export, save and later, import order activity, or perhaps store order information in its own tables so that developers could more easily do development on WooCommerce enabled sites.

Without one of these solutions developers are left with the daunting task of manually rebuilding the order history in the DB tables each time a staging site is pushed to a live server.

You would save a ton of support calls by explaining this and then by solving it for your users.

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Patrick McCormick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a massive **** ton of DB rows so I am all for this.

• Luis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Agree. Migrating from an external site (like a staging site) would be much easier.

• Aipo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this moment, I am curently working on importing, exporting products to Woo, as wp_posts. I have my products updates every month. So adding products to existing list is time consuming work. It would be good to make SQL table more simplyfied if I could have separate table for my products what acts like custom_post_type in WP.
        I hope to hear from you why this thing wasn't done before? What were the reasons? I can't understand why are we adding products not to woo_products table, but wp_posts.

• Simon Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a relatively large Woocommerce site (50,000+ orders) and despite our database running on its own SSD server and being converted to InnoDB searching for a customer by email address or order number can take 30-60 seconds (on a bad day). This is because Woo seems to search the entire database.

We think Woo should offer search options in the admin area so you can just search for an order number or email address (in addition to the current freeform search) and then they can just search the appropriate tables and not the entire database. Which should, in theory, be much quicker.

• Luke Cavanagh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Improve posts and postmeta issue with stores with higher product levels by using custom db tables designed well for products and also for product orders. Rather than just using a CPT.

• mer1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you could better create unique wootables as products and orders, instead of saving them on posts and comments ones, just to organize data :3

• David Maillard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When having thousands of items into WooCommerce, the database is extremely slow.
        It looks like WC use the default WP behavior within it's table.
        It could be interesting to research options with customer tables to improve the general performance.
        Maybe the ability to store WC data in NoSQL db could dramatically improve general performance!

Thank you for taking this into consideration :)

WooCommerce: Category - Core

Feedback and Knowledge Base