How can we improve WooCommerce?

Can't keep accurate stock counts for the same product sold via subscription and non-subscription

The subscriptions plugin is great, but in my opinion, by making subscriptions a separate type of product, it is architected in a way that conflates two different concepts: The recording of stock / inventory and the method of purchase.

Let me explain: On my website, I would like for my customers to be able to by 12-packs of protein bars either by subscription, or on a one-time basis. In either case, it will draw from the same inventory. I don't want to have to artificially create two "products" with different SKUs, and thus segment my inventory into two "piles" - one reserved for subscription customers and one reserved for all other customers. It would require me to do additional forecasting for no reason, and possibly stock out of one product while the other remains in stock - even though they are actually the same underlying physical product!

In an attempt to remedy this, I've tried creating a variable subscription product, and adding a "one time" product as a variant which is billed "for one day" "once". But this still displays the price followed by "for one day" in the shopping cart, which is very confusing to customers. It also still forces a user to click a button that says "Sign Up Now" when adding the product to their cart, as opposed to "Add to Cart". Taken together, this wording is confusing enough that it will create a customer service hassle that is not worth the risk.

Bottom line, the combination of the subscriptions extension and woocommerce, as currently designed, doesn't let me keep accurate stock counts for a product that I want to sell via two methods. In my opinion, the method of selling should not be conflated with the method of stock keeping.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jesse Watson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • GL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

pickey bars website come to mind when I read this! I have a different issue where I am trying to sell a kit that ships over 10 months, and i only have 100 fixed kits. in month 2 it depletes the same sku number again thus killing my ability to sell my remaining kits as they are all gone. For example: I quilt as a block of the month series for 10 months. in month 2 it reduced same product sku # abc not abc-part2 I will need to open an new request for this issue as it is the opposite as this one posted here. If you have this issue too please go vote for it.

WooCommerce: Extension - WooCommerce Subscriptions

Feedback and Knowledge Base