How can we improve Sensei?

Course Expiration

Upon launch, the user will be notified that they have a certain time-frame to complete the course.They can close the course and come back to it, but access to it will expire within that certain time (a few days or weeks).

146 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  AdminSensei Team (Product Owner, WooCommerce) responded  · 

We’re planning to build this into the next version of our new Content Drip extension – http://www.woothemes.com/products/sensei-content-drip/

One alternative way to do this would be using Groups as described in this post – http://www.woothemes.com/2014/02/creating-a-tiered-membership-site-with-sensei-and-groups/

When you create a product that grants access to a Group, it allows you to set a duration, after which the user will be removed from that group.

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sambo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Likewise - users should not be able to access their course any longer after a period of 12 months. Seems easy enough, how do I get this set up?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to me essential to be able to control the time of access to the courses from SENSEI. I am using woocommerce to sell courses and I have tried to integrate with woocommerce membership, to limit access time to courses, but it does not work.

Angel.

Me parece imprescindible poder controlar el tiempo de acceso a los cursos desde SENSEI. Estoy utilizando woocommerce para vender los cursos y he probado a integrar con woocommerce membership, para limitar el tiempo de acceso a los cursos, pero no funciona.

Angel.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is now approaching TWO years since Woo offered to provide a solution, but nothing has been released that would address the problem of setting a course expiration.

The workaround offered 2 years ago is convoluted and expensive ($150 just to set an expiration date on a course!). The proposed solution from Woo involves unnecessarily making course drip-fed for no reason other than to set an expiration date. Drip-fed courses are not popular and and making that a requirement to achieve a total different concept is illogical and likely to do more damage than good.

The original request, made nearly 3-years ago, is not that difficult to implement. The fact that Woo has ignored something that has obvious popular appeal to your users for so long is quite an indictment of how Woo responds to its customers needs (not to mention your development cycle).

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think building this into the Content Drip extension is a good idea as that really limits its use, i.e. if you do NOT want to drip the lessons.

I think Michelle's 3 points would be the best approach. The key point being the expiration is determined by a set period of time (120 days, 3-months, 1-year, etc.), not a specific date.

Please add this functionality! While we wait for this to be added, can we take students out of the course after a certain period time manually? If yes, how?

• SB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, for example, I use the follow-ups plugin for new product sign-ups. We also need a {end date} variable to insert into registration emails. (Ex. Your access expires on {end date} ). Currently, I'm only able to include the number of days (i.e. Your access expires 30 days from today, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to this feature. Thank you!

• michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please add this functionality! We like and want to use Sensei, but MUST have this in order to use for our online learning business:

As per James Revillini commented on 2/9/15

1. An expiration field on courses which supports many date/time periods (e.g. 3 months, 120 days, 24 hours)
    2. An enrollment end date in the table under Learner Management
    3. Front-end hints to the user about how long their access lasts, i.e. under My Courses, each course listing should have "Access to this content expires on mm/dd/yyyy"

• AdminSensei Team (Product Owner, WooCommerce) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Stephen

We've been focussing our attention on Sensei core and haven't been able to give our extensions as much attention as we would have liked. We are hoping to devote more time to them early in 2016.

For now, WooCommerce Subscriptions would be the best way to achieve this functionality.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dan, a year ago you mentioned that course expiration was planned for the next version of the Content Drip extension. Based on the passage of all this time, I assumed that it must now be a feature, and purchased the extension. However, it appears that this has not been done. I guess I could go the "group" route, but I wasn't planning on it. Quite frankly, I'm worried about the pace of development of Sensei--should I be?

• SB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with James (2/9/15). Is a standard LMS e commerce feature, exp. when dealing with compliance or continuing education training. Seems Sensei should be primary in handling overall access to courses. Thanks for still exploring this one. It's really needed Any updates on this would be appreciated greatly! Thanks!

• jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you guys identified a release date for course expiration functionality? I would agree that Content Dripping shouldn't necessarily be required to expire courses... But if that's how it gets implemented I'll pay for the extension just to get this functionality!

• Chris Muller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dan,

Any idea on the timeline for the proposed Content Drip next-version?

Thanks,
    Chris

• James Revillini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dan, I'm not big on the solutions proposed.

Content Drip is for sites that want to drip lessons over time. I think it's overkill to add such a robust extension just to do an overall content accessibility limit.

Setting up Groups with WooCommerce Subscriptions has the following issues:
    1. a lot of overhead for this simple problem
    2. currently would present problems at checkout if the student wanted to register for multiple courses (because courses = subscriptions and WooCommerce doesn't allow checking out with multiple subscriptions right now)

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea for Content Drip to handle content access when it's being employed for its true purpose, but I think Sensei users will agree that there should be the following added to Sensei core:

1. An expiration field on courses which supports many date/time periods (e.g. 3 months, 120 days, 24 hours)
    2. An enrollment end date in the table under Learner Management
    3. Front-end hints to the user about how long their access lasts, i.e. under My Courses, each course listing should have "Access to this content expires on mm/dd/yyyy"

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base