How can we improve Sensei?

Built-in support for protected Amazon S3 video code.

For Sensei to really be a sophisticated tool to offer online classes and workshops, it really has to offer a means to provide students with protected video. Hosting through Vimeo Pro, while nice, has limitations and isn't the smoothly professional delivery model that more experienced users seek--and that reflects a level or professionalism from the instructor. I find it shocking that Sensei supports Funny or Die videos but not S3--I mean, honestly, that's shameful. This product has SO MANY great features and would be integrated on my site today, but regardless of how many themes I chose or work-arounds I installed, if it doesn't seamlessly and reliably host my S3 protected video using the code provided by my EZS3 bucket, then the entire product is useless to me. Make this one change, and I will sing Sensei's praises to the nations.

102 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Deborah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just added my 3 votes :) I would also happily pay for an addon. Amazon S3 is a widely used solution and comparibly cheap. I will look into some of the other solutions mentioned in the comments here and might just go with Vimeo Pro for now. But I really think this integration is needed.

• Nata Aliyeva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been a few years now since this thread started. Is there a solution? Can we use S3 hosted videos in Sensei?

• Mike Wilkerson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just explored all of this stuff this week, and ended up staying with Vimeo for video for now, but for protected audio, I'm now using S3 Media Maestro. In time, I may switch my protected course video to S3 Media Maestro as well, but at the moment, I don't yet see the clear advantage to doing so. I wonder what the original poster has in mind in suggesting that the Vimeo approach is less smooth or professional.

• Dhruv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am looking for this feature in sensei ..
    teachers can upload videos from wordpress admin to aws s3.
    all videos are protected.

• Artur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found great and free solution to this:
    Fv Flowplayer plugin.

In free version it has the option for showing Amazon hosted, protected video files. I just configured it today and it works like a charm.

• AdminSensei Team (Admin, WooCommerce) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Tevya, I've changed the status to Under Review, so that people can continue to vote/comment.

If the demand is there we may look into building an extension to provide this integration. Thanks for the feedback.

• Tevya Washburn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we realize Amazon allows that. WordPress and other plugins allow us to build online classes. But we chose to pay for Sensei, to make it all easier. I think that's all that's being asked for here: a plugin to make this easier. And it's not terribly difficult with AWS, WooCommerce S3 Extension already does this partially. Sure there are other plugins that do it, but there's other plugins that do a lot of things. We're just asking for something that is fluidly integrated with Sensei. But it's your choice. Just explaining the case for it.

• Blake Ellison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Protected video isn't an easy problem to solve, nor should it be WooThemes' responsibility.

I pay Wistia a lot of money to solve this problem for me, and I just drop in embed codes.

• Tevya Washburn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the idea here, is to protect them, and make it easier to insert them in lessons without revealing their true S3 URL. Just like WooCommerce protects download links to S3 files, we'd like something like that in place, where a random, temporary URL is generated, so that people can't just grab the video URL from source and download the video or share it with friends who haven't signed up for the course. I would think most people would be happy to pay for this, even if it were a paid add-on.

• Scott Leneau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh my God—I accidentally flagged this post as inappropriate, and totally don't think it should be. How do I reverse that?

Feedback and Knowledge Base