How can we improve Sensei?

Add Learning Paths

A building block approach to learning that helps your students reach their goals. Let's say you have 5 courses all on the same topic but geared towards different levels of learners. 2 of them are for beginners, 2 for intermediate and 1 for experts. If someone completes all 5 courses they have completed that path. Maybe tie it to badges but absolutely necessary for anyone offering any type of certifications, etc....

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a client that is looking for exactly this feature. They want to enable different learning paths for new employees to take based on different departments that they work in. For example, they don't want customer service representatives to only take courses in the customer service category. Instead they want them to take courses from a variety of different categories with a focus on customer service and a healthy variety of courses from other departments (i.e. finance, sales, etc.). For new customer service managers, however, they really need a different set of courses that focus on customer service, management, and leadership courses, which is different from the courses required by customer service representatives.

It would be great to be able to set custom learning paths for specific employee positions that guides them through these courses in a way that is more customized to their position and needs.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, although a sequence of courses could be setup using prerequisites, the "paths" idea is really more about recommending a sequence courses, not strictly requiring one.

Of course, this could be accomplished in a variety of ways... I just like the clarity of how study paths are presented on learnable.com. It would be easy if it was baked-in to Sensei, that's all.

Dan, I think the main difference is that a study "path" isn't just a grouping (or category) of courses, but is rather a sequence. "Start with this, then move on to this, then move on to this..."

Some students are looking for more than just a selection of courses to take. They want guidance – recommendations for where to start, and where to go next.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not the originator but I think of Paths as a pre-defined series or sequence of classes.

Very similar to categories perhaps, but this puts a little more structure behind them and allows a couple things:

1) enable a suggested evolution of classes... take Intro (101), then 201, then 301 then 401 class vs requiring the user to find the related and successive classes via categories. Visually represent and actively suggest a sequence or series of classes to take.

2) you could create a path... say Intro to everything, and include the intro level classes from a multiple categories... so flexibility beyond just the categories.

3) enable a badge based on completion of path

Feedback and Knowledge Base