Option to apply updated Payment Method to existing subscriptions

With Woocommerce, customers can store a default and other payment methods. We also are using Woocommerce Subscriptions. If someone wants to change the payment method on a subscription, they need to go to My Subscriptions and click change payment method button. When they do this, if they have more than one subscription, a checkbox shows which allows them to update all their subscriptions to this new payment method if they check it.

This all works well. However, Woocommerce has a Payment Methods section in My Account that if they update their default payment method there, it has no effect on any existing subscriptions and this confuses people. They get a notification that their payment didn’t go through, then they see payment methods link and update it there, but it doesn’t help with the subscription issue.

What should happen is when someone updates their default payment method in WC, it will ask if they would like to update their existing subscriptions to that method as well.

Is there anyway to make it so that if the customer updates their WC default payment method, it can ask if they want to update existing subscription payment too?

It’s confusing the way it currently works.

Author

Current Status

Open

Last updated: July 9, 2021

2 comments

1. willemmoeskops1 says:

We get the same requests from our customers

2. Andrew Wilder says:

Yes! This is a VERY frequent issue with our subscribers.

People don’t understand that adding a new Payment Method and making it “Default” does not automatically change the payment method on an existing subscription.

I agree that after adding a new default payment method, the user should be asked if they want to apply that change to their existing subscriptions.