Integrate with Buddypress
By integrating with Buddypress, courses could have their own group for those on the course, and that could include a forum and discussion, as well as everything else linked with a group.
It would also be good to have a tab in the user's front-end admin which would list their courses and any information pertaining to those courses.
There are many things that could be done by integrating with Buddypress...
This is now available as a free extension. See here for details – http://www.woothemes.com/products/buddypress-for-sensei/
@Brian, we're still in the early planning stages, and will post more info here as it develops.
Brian Greenberg commented
What is the status of the buddypress integration?
Blake Ellison commented
I really like David Page's comments.
I sell the same course material to a variety of brick-and-mortar schools (for example, high schools across the USA). I've wanted to use BuddyPress to create groups for each of those schools so that students/teachers (not our Sensei teachers, but real life teachers in charge of those kids) can communicate. More wishful, but it'd be wonderful if those teachers could see course progress and grades for the students in that group.
To that end, I think David's suggestions would work well for my use case.
Peder Songedal commented
I do think one course one group is a good start!
Paul Thewlis commented
We're just starting an implementation of a Sensei/BuddyPress/Wordpress solution for a new secondary college. Happy to contribute if you're needing participants in the development stage.
Wander de Castro Silva commented
I could point out:
- Use BuddyPress messaging feature instead of recently set available Private Messaging capability;
- Enable the creation of a forum per course and a topic per lesson/class so that students can share thoughs on the lesson (may require bbPress integration as well, since BuddyPress use this feature when bbPress is installed);
- Enable the creation of groups of students and foruns for interaction outside the course environment, specially for those who are not enrolled to a paid course but may interact within the website and, eventually, may purchase a course;
- Make it possible to warn groups and different foruns on the creation of a new course;
David Page commented
Off the top of my head for BuddyPress:
* Drop the custom profile page and use the BuddyPress profile page with a custom sub tab (similar to how BadgeOS BuddyPress adds it's Achievements tab).
* Use the BuddyPress notifications API for the existing emails that are sent out, if notifications is activate.
* Keep the various emails though, but allow them to be turned off by the user with a new account Settings admin panel (just like the other BuddyPress emails)
* Drop the teacher<=>student messaging and use BuddyPress' Private Messaging
* Allow a course<=>group relationship for a dedicated group (plus potential forum) per course
* Post to a users activity stream when they pass a quiz, complete a course etc
Fred Schenkelberg commented
As a class or course specific discussion forum - would like to include general area, cohort specific and topic specific forums.
WisdmLabs have written a post on integrating Sensei and BuddyPress - https://support.woothemes.com/hc/communities/public/questions/201348933-Sensei-and-BuddyPress
This isn't a proper integration, as it requires adding students manually to groups, but it could be a nice solution for smaller sites.
We are still planning a full BP integration, but no date for that at this time.
Any news on this topic as BuddyPress is getting more and more popular?
Wander de Castro Silva commented
I believe there are 3 possible ways for interaction within a course: student-teacher; teacher-students; student-student.
A simple forum with private message capabilitiess would do the job, hence integrating Sensei to Buddypress or BBPress, at least at a course level (a topic per course), would be great!
Ideally, it would be possible for students to send their doubts to the teacher or share thoughts with their colleagues.
Please, consider merging this suggestion to "BBPress Integration" and "Add functionality so Students can privately interact with teachers".
you can use this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/studypress/
studypress integrate course with the social network buddypress
i think it's a good begining of this plugin
BuddyPress Courseware is not mainteined anymore and does not work with latest versions of BP!!
Can I add Sensei to my existing buddypress installation?
Simon Smith commented
I am wondering if any of the people asking for BuddyPress integration have used - BuddyPress Courseware. It seems to have many of the features people are looking for.
Buddypress has some security issues with groups -- take into account that although it's interesting to use Buddypress, the security of the information posted by students in a PAID course could be a problem. If you can solve the security issue by adding an option to close the BP group to non-enrolled viewers, then by all means, I'm in favor!